RTR ZONE
RTR ZONE
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MAKE THAT HYDRO FAST
 HYDRO PERFORMANCE ZONE
 Miss Attitude Re-Build
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  8:13:14 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I've been away for awhile and decided to turn my attention back to RC Boats. I've been having a little to much fun with my newest Toy lately.

Anyways I always liked the Miss Attitude Hydro, but never was able to purchase one when they were available. When I returned to the zone I saw Opio's Miss A for sale in the For Sale thread and decided why not? So I bought it and here it is.

Now I can't start Re-building with out a stand, So that was project number 1. Mission Accomplished.

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  8:30:13 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now it is time to see what we are working with. Opio was setting this Miss A up to run with a .21 so the he had already started to set his motor mounts, strut set-up and had already made most of his radio box. Unfortunately, I am only going to be running this Miss A with a GO Engine .18 so some changes are in order.

Sorry Opio, but I wanted to start with a clean slate. I'm not looking for anything special, just simple and efficient. Time to clean House. Most everything has been removed, except for the engine mounts. Currently, my GO engine has been sent out down to AMAX for his TSH Stage 1 makeover. This would include a new head button and a modified carb. I don't want to do anything to the motor mounts until I get my engine back. Opio had also cut out the front part of his cowl and combined it with the removable part and again I'm sorry, but I'm scratcing that idea aswell. I cut the cowl in 2 and epoxied it back into its original spot.

That's it for now, but I will keep the updates coming as I progress. Be back soon!
Go to Top of Page

rome
RTR Pro

USA
639 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  8:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Send rome a Yahoo! Message Send rome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lots of work to do love the miss a nice boat good luck
nice to see u back

Go to Top of Page

opio

2339 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  9:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see opio's MSN Messenger address Send opio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey no harm bro!!!! I'm just glad to see it going to someone so happy to get her going!!!

Jeremy Glance
District 8 Namba
JAE NR.12
Cajun Bullet CMB RS .21
Miss Veges ST .18
Miss Attitude STS/NR .21

I sweat during peace, so they don't bleed during war.
All gave some, some gave All.
Go to Top of Page

Amax

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  08:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Amax's Homepage  Send Amax a Yahoo! Message Send Amax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AWW Snap,, I was hoping to see one get built with the front radio box like the original Miss A was.

If you cover the outside seam with masking tape, and epoxy as much as possible from the inside it will save you a lot of work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/topspeedhobbies
Go to Top of Page

JOSEPHKING1971
RTR Pro

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  08:36:36 AM  Show Profile Send JOSEPHKING1971 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey jay
nice fishing boat!!
i think youll be happy with that miss A
the motor mount will be different too
i asked the guys about hull designs and paint and well i still finished
there a bit tight lipped see people were steeling paint jobs without asking OR SOMETHING
but i ended up cutting the hole for the tube to far "thanks rob for all the epoxy tips

so if ya have any ANY questions give us a shout

j KING
1 MISS ADDITUDE ELE
1-miss ADDITUDE 1 GO.18 NOT BUILT
1-miss bud 1/12 AQU.18 38 MPH
1-ul1 superior ELECTRIC 55 MPH
HAND BUILT OUT RIGGER ELE
Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well after reading some of the chit chat thread I guess I better post some work. I last left off when I had sent my GO engine out for Amax's TSH stage 1 makeover. Amax threw in a couple other process' like setting the exhaust timing, polishing piston and crank and he also did initial break-in. Before I go any further I do need to give Amax most of the credit on this build. It's his trial and error with the Miss A that makes the rest of ours better. Thanks Amax. Anyways I received the Engine back and it's ready to go.

Next area was the gas tank. Sullivan 6oz. tank. I cut a couple pieces of angle aluminum and epoxied them into to place. Eventually I will use some velcro to make sure the tank stays in place, but for now it is pressure fit in there.

I next turned my attention to the motor mounts. I liked Amax's idea of having permanent mounts that except the screws without ever having the holes strip out. Instead of wood, I decided to use more aluminum pieces in which I epoxied lock nuts to the underside of.

Now it was time to epoxy them in place. I drew a Line down the center of the hull and placed the motor in place where I wanted it. Next came pooring epoxing around the mounts, a little baking and the mounts were set.

Since I had my motor in place and a center line I installed the strut and the rudder.

Feeling pretty good so far. With the motor in place and the strut in line, I could now work on the stuffing tube. I was able to use a pre existing hole that Opio had already cut so that was nice. Bent the stuffing tube with a slight S-Curve and it fit really good. Cut it to approximate length and on to the next project.

More to come this afternoon. Radio Box!
Go to Top of Page

rome
RTR Pro

USA
639 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  1:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Send rome a Yahoo! Message Send rome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looks really good sweet job what flywheel u going to use
with it

Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, I have a proboat one on order that has been sitting in my local post office since Thursday. I just have that in place to give me a better idea of spacing with the collet so I could shape the stuffing tube. Getting the urge to buy a new radio, maybe a trip to the LHS is in order.
Go to Top of Page

Amax

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  2:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Amax's Homepage  Send Amax a Yahoo! Message Send Amax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks,,and Your Welcome,,
Biuld is lookin good,, keep it up.
A Sullivan Flex tank instead of the hard side tank will let you push the tank up in the bow a little more for clearance with the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/topspeedhobbies

Edited by - Amax on 08/29/2010 6:08:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  6:51:48 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well last night an urge came over me to get a new radio for this project so off to the hobby store I went. Here is what was calling my name.

Don't tell my wife!

A couple more things that I have accumilated. Polished prop from Amax and Turn Fin from Yota. The fail safe and temp sensor were items I had laying in the garage. I'm not sure that I need them any longer because the new radio has the temp and reciever voltage displays built in.

Back to actually building. I didn't have any way to secure the cowl to the hull so I purchased a set of aeromarine cowl locks. I really like these because they screw in place and are held on with a nut on both sides. They stick up a little on the outside of the cowl but I guess I kind of like it.

On to the radio box. This was my first attempt at building a radio box. I first started with a bracket to hold the servos. This is just some angle aluminum from lowes. I cut the servo holes out with a dremel and a little sandpaper. Not a clean as I wanted it to be, but when your tools are limited there is only so much you can do. Anyways here is the finished product.

Once I completed the bracket I continued to work on the rest of the box, but I finally got to a point that I decided I didn't like the direction it was heading. Here is where I ended up stoppping.

Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  6:53:06 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now what was I to do with the radio box? I continued to try to think of how I could assemble one , but i didn't want to do one out of wood. It had to be different. I liked Amax's radio box made of plexi, but I also didn't want to copy it so here is what I came up with. The vinyl guy I use on all my projects including work projects also has a CNC router in his shop for little suff he does here and there. I asked him if he could cut some pieces for me if I gave him dimensions. He agreed. I used some plexi, but it is a mirrored plexi. Just trying to add a little extra bling. He cut a trim piece for my servo bracket and that is rabbited into the base and the sides of the box. Basically the trim piece slides in and out. With all the pieces CA'd together I used some finish epoxy to seal the joints. I still haven't fabricated the top but I'm hoping to do that tonight. Here is the finished product.

I forgot to mention that the radio box tapers from left to right to coincide with the taper of the miss A hull. Here is everything so far.

More to come!
Go to Top of Page

rtrzone
Admin

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  8:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit rtrzone's Homepage Send rtrzone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do a little research before you use that spectrum radio Darin Jordan who I believe is sponsored by spectrum or proboat works for etc not sure on that but he just wrote up a big post on the spec radio

here is a copy and paste of it from another site
To all of you Spektrum owners out there who are running your system in boats and do NOT have a Marine Compatible TX... i.e.: those with the following Radios that do NOT already have THIS MARINE logo on them:

The following radios are NOT Marine Compatible:
Earlier versions of the:
DX2.0 (SPM20200, SPM20210)
DX3.0 (SPM20300, SPM20310)
DX3S (SPM3130)

and any of the Spektrum Surface Modules (like would be used in your M8, etc)... (NOTE: The Aircraft modules ARE compatible...)

These radios are NOT compatible with the MR-series RXs. I believe they will BIND with them, and will work on the bench, but you will NOT have the range you desire if you use them like this. The transmitters MUST be upgraded by Spektrum to install the marine power circuit and reprogram to work with the MR-Series RXs.

Please contact Spektrum Radios (You must be logged in to see this link.) to find out what you need to do to get the upgrade done and if your radio is able to be upgraded.

I realize it's a pain, a little confusing, and an extra expense, but if you wish to continue using your existing TX for your boats, it must be done.

The other option would be to sell your existing stuff to a car guy, and buy a new Spektrum Marine compatible system, which includes the following wheel radios:

DX3S (SPM3140)
DX2S (SPM2120)
DX3E (SPM3160)
new DX2.0 (SPM20220)*
new DX3.0 (SPM20320)*

If you are into sticks, these Aircraft TXs work as well:

JR12X
JRX9303
Spektrum DX8
Spektrum DX7
Spektrum DX7se
Spektrum DX6i
Spektrum DX5e
Spektrum DSM2 Aircraft Module Systems

Please let any of your friends who run Spektrum know as well.

We've lost one customer already this weekend who didn't know the TX needed to be upgraded, had range issues, and now is using Futaba. Nothing wrong with that, but had he gotten the TX upgraded, he'd be wearing a much nicer color of Orange still! :thumbup1: and would not have had to be frustrated.

Let me know if you have any questions.
- ProBoatModels.com

Administrator
RTR Zone
http://www.rtrzone.com
Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  9:59:56 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up RTRZone. The unit I purchased is marine compatible and is also compatible with spectrums marine receivers. That was a requirement! It does help to do a little research before hand.
Go to Top of Page

Rob
CERTIFIED ZONER

USA
1976 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage  Send Rob a Yahoo! Message Send Rob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sweet dude! makes me want to get busting on mine! Great job!
Go to Top of Page

rezrider2
RTR Semi Pro

Canada
347 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  06:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit rezrider2's Homepage Send rezrider2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking sweet man! great posts and pics!

-1/12 Miss Llumar (MOD .18 OSCVRM)
-1/12 Thunder Cat31 (MOD Dynamite .32) back from the dead!
-Aeromarine Sprint Cat (MOD Zenoah 23cc)
-PB WidowMaker (stock)
-1/12 Miss Llumar (MOD .18 Aqu).
Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  08:09:51 AM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question. The radio that I bought came with a heavy duty servo. All metal gears and what not. I puchased a second servo by itself and the only additional one that the LHS had was a high torque servo. My question is which servo should be used for what? Heavy duty on rudder or throttle? Should be posting more pics later today.
Go to Top of Page

rome
RTR Pro

USA
639 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Send rome a Yahoo! Message Send rome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rudder it dont take much to pull or push the throttle

Edited by - rome on 09/02/2010 4:48:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Titliest2
RTR Novice

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  7:58:54 PM  Show Profile Send Titliest2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok guys need some help. Although I haven't posted the pics yet, I have got the miss a in condition to make her first run. That attempt took place about an hour ago. Had some problems getting it up on plane. She started with no issues, however on the launch she just pretty much bogged down. I could hit the throttle and it would rev and the prop would turn but both the front end and the back wouldn't get up ontop of the water. The back end sat so low that the exhaust port that comes out the back of the boat would speratically go under. The front end wouldn't get up either. Water was going over the top of the cowl every time I would hit the gas. It just seemed as if the whole boat sat too low in the water. Strut is set at about 3/4" from bottom of transom go top of the strut. Cg is about 2 1/2"-2 3/4" back from sponson. I thought I was good, but apparently not. Suggestions please!
Go to Top of Page

wurster
RTR Pro

USA
605 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  12:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit wurster's Homepage  Send wurster a Yahoo! Message Send wurster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice im glad to see that boat went to a good home.Ive been to busy with other stuff to eork on mine .so it will have to waite toll winter.

Go to Top of Page

JOSEPHKING1971
RTR Pro

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  8:15:39 PM  Show Profile Send JOSEPHKING1971 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok double check your collet make sure that cable is tight on both ends ie dog drive set screw
if shes noseing down with good CG then i think its too heavy
also try a lifting prop.at the end it tapers back to the props housing
and prop angle is important if it points down it will force the nose down
hey man good luck

j KING
1 MISS ADDITUDE ELE
1-miss ADDITUDE 1 GO.18 NOT BUILT
1-miss bud 1/12 AQU.18 38 MPH
1-ul1 superior ELECTRIC 55 MPH
HAND BUILT OUT RIGGER ELE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic