RTR ZONE
RTR ZONE
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MAKE THAT HYDRO FAST
 HYDRO PERFORMANCE ZONE
 Prop Size?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwilkin04
RTR Novice

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  10:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Send dwilkin04 a Yahoo! Message Send dwilkin04 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iím having a little bit of difficulty understanding the prop sizes and how to pick the right prop for my boat. I went online and saw this prop chart You must be logged in to see this link. and this is what it recommended:

HYDRO/OUTRIGGER -INBOARD - 3.5cc - 1450, 1650, 1945, X447, X447/3, X448

Now I currently have a GO .21 3.45cc with a X440 prop at the moment, but have not run it in the water yet. But after seeing this chart Iím thinking that my prop may be too small. Any ideas?

ron5oh
RTR Semi Pro

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile Send ron5oh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, FYI, I've never run a 21 rigger or hydro so my experience is nil on this subject and my guesses are all theoretical. I'm sure the others can chime in on this, but I just wanted to share what I know.

Mark Sholund from props4u recommends a modified 1450 for 21 riggers. What type of boat? Rigger or Sport Hydro? If Sport Hydro, then you need to go smaller on diameter. Does the engine have 5 ports? If it does, then I believe those like to spin at high rpm so your diameter needs to be reduced a bit more.

Ron
Go to Top of Page

dwilkin04
RTR Novice

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  10:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Send dwilkin04 a Yahoo! Message Send dwilkin04 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have a Pro Boat Thundercat, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out in what the difference is between a submerged prop VS a surface prop? I currently running a X440/3 and it is running great!

CATAMARAN- INBOARD - SUBMERGED PROP- 3.5cc - 1337/3, X438, X637

CATAMARAN- INBOARD - SURFACE PROP - 3.5cc - X437/3, X440, X440/3, X640, X642

Go to Top of Page

dwilkin04
RTR Novice

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  10:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Send dwilkin04 a Yahoo! Message Send dwilkin04 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ron5oh

First, FYI, I've never run a 21 rigger or hydro so my experience is nil on this subject and my guesses are all theoretical. I'm sure the others can chime in on this, but I just wanted to share what I know.

Mark Sholund from props4u recommends a modified 1450 for 21 riggers. What type of boat? Rigger or Sport Hydro? If Sport Hydro, then you need to go smaller on diameter. Does the engine have 5 ports? If it does, then I believe those like to spin at high rpm so your diameter needs to be reduced a bit more.

Ron

Here's the stats on my motor:

Code MR215P-P620OS
Contents 3.45cc
Maximum Power 2.6hp
R.P.M 37.000rpm
Practical Range 6.000/40.000rpm
Bore/Stroke 16.26mm/16.80mm
Ports 5+2
Crankshaft 14mm OS
Carburetor 8mm
Glow Plug Type Standard
Exhaust Type Rear

Edited by - dwilkin04 on 05/15/2010 10:57:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amax

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Amax's Homepage  Send Amax a Yahoo! Message Send Amax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First thing is,,What boat are you running the Go 21 in?
a 440 prop is a bit small for that engine in just about any boat I would think.

The difference between a Surface Prop and a Submerged Prop are just that.
A Submerged Prop is generally a 2 blade prop, it is made to run completely submerged in the water. You generally find these on some Mono, Cat's , Scale ships, etc..

A Surface prop is also refereed to as a Lifting Prop. It is designed to rise to the surface, and run with the blades piercing the surface, this Lifts the transom of the boat off the surface in a 3 Point Hydro, and lifts mono's and cat's up to the surface so less boat is in the water creating less drag.

This is a real nice Prop Chart Page mike has put together, it has a lot of good info on the different props and their purpose.
You must be logged in to see this link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/topspeedhobbies
Go to Top of Page

dwilkin04
RTR Novice

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  10:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Send dwilkin04 a Yahoo! Message Send dwilkin04 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks!! I went ahead an ordered a new prop, this time around i'm going to try running a X447. My "Miss Phoenix" is rebuilt and finally finished. I have to go away for a week so I won't be able to run her this weekend. But will all week long when I return. Thanks for all the help and will get pixs and video up soon enough.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RTR ZONE © 2000-08 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2